Re: [pronut-hiv] AIDS Patients Surpass ARVs (3)

  • From: "Africa Youth Ministries - Uganda" <aym@infocom.co.ug>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:43:17 +0300

Stacia, Thank you for the correction. The true fact is People Living with AIDS!

----- "Kristof & Stacia Nordin" wrote:

Hello Albert - do you mean living with AIDS or HIV?

Generally about 10-20 percent of those living with HIV are in need of ARVs -
so if you meant 60,000 are living with HIV, we could guess that 6,000-12,00
are in need of ARVs. In EITHER case, your 500 people on ARVs is probably
falling far short of the need!

I just wanted to highlight that about 50,000 of the number you mention (if I guessed correctly that they are HIV positive) would not be our target for
ARVs but instead for INTENSIVE nutrition counselling and support. Helping
them grow / buy diets that assist HIV and preparing them for times of
illness and strategies for dealing with them.

Of course NUTRITION interventions are KEY for everyone, HIV negative and HIV positive (with or without AIDS stage).

(I've been out of town, sorry if if someone has already raised this point!)

Stacia