Re: [pronut-hiv] Peas

  • From: "Jecinter oketch" <jessieoketch@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:51:33 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Alassane,

I do not know very much about the percentage of undigestible starch/fiber in the black eyed beans since it is not very much consumed in my society or the communities we work with. However, When we are doing similar flours for our programs we always go through the same process.Roasting and grinding but we further ferment the flour (either wet or dry fermentation) process.

Fermentation will not only partially digest the starch but also provide good source of probiotics that feed on any undigestible starch.This way the cleints weaken system find it easy to digest the mix. Please try it and if you have further question please do ask.

Jecinter Oketch

----------------
Alassane Abeidy Diakite <cdiakite@mr.peacecorps.gov> wrote:

Greetings from Mauritania,

One of our Peace Corps Volunteers in promoting proper nutrition at site. He is also interested in exploring nutrition options for people living with
HIV. He has the following question for the group:

"In the production of a multi-grain flour roasted black eye peas are
used. There is some debate about whether or not the skins of the peas
should be removed before roasting and grinding. The root of the
question is whether or not a weakened system (by HIV or a malnourished
child) can handle the digestion of the peas skins. The main nutrient
in the skins is the fiber. If in fact the weakened system can not
handle the fiber from the pea skins could they system handle that
fiber once it has been turned into flour? After roasting all the
ingredients they are machine ground and turned into a flour. Does this
make the indigestible fiber (or whatever may be indigestible in the
bean skins) digestible or easier to digest?

What we are working with are black-eyed peas (see below for more
information.) Do these skins of these beans contain toxic substances?

"The black-eyed pea, also called black-eyed bean, blackeye, lobiya or
chawli, is a subspecies of the cowpea, grown for its medium-sized
edible bean, pale-colored with a prominent black spot. Its currently
accepted botanical name is Vigna unguiculata ssp. dekindtiana,
although previously it was classified in the genus Phaseolus."
Source (http://psychcentral.com/psypsych/Black-eyed_pea)

Any insight would be useful.

Thank you,

Alassane Abeidy Diakite