Re: [pronut-hiv] Swaziland Farming School for HIV/AIDS Orphans (3)

  • From: "Kristof & Stacia Nordin" <nordin@eomw.net>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 22:06:01 +0200

This doesn't answer your question, but is relevant to the topic. We are
doing the same type of work in Malawi, but in the formal primary school
system and we are about to start up some pilots with somewhere between 20 to 50 schools with 200-1,500 children per school (about 2,000 to 7,000
students). We will be scaling up a Permaculture-centred approach to
continue the work we did last year when we worked with about 25 communities (about 4,000 people), including 4 schools with about 700 children per school.

('We' of last year being a multi-sectoral government & non-government
implementation which was lead by WFP and funded with a Canadian Grant. 'We' of this year being a similar multi-sector and multi-organizational approach with GTZ and possibly other funding).

Last year's pilot will be assessed in about June this year and we should
have some lessons to share with you. We've done mini-assessments along the way and a majority of the sites to date are progressing marvelously. In this approach, no handouts are given, just an increase in technical
understanding (often by both the 'teacher' and the 'students') along with
sharing of locally saved seeds (not purchased, and again, sharing by both
the teachers and the students), use of local tools, all organic production, and a myriad of simple methods for acheiveing high yields year-round.

Specific to schools -- 2 of the 4 schools are progressing well on their own to date (about a 9 months after we started); one never got off the ground as they couldn't get their group organized; and the last did well for a few months despite a bickering committee, but at last visit the bickering seemed to take precedence over food production - sadly to say. When working in community settings such as schools, often the management (supervisors, teachers, parents, etc) are the limiting factor on success.

I hope to get the manual that we produced last year into a format that can
be downloaded from the Internet, and I may acheive this as soon as this
week. When I do, I'll let you know.

Stacia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stacia Nordin, RD
GTZ Basic Education Programme
Sustainable School Food & Nutrition Programme
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Personal contacts:
Post Dot Net X-124, Crossroads, Lilongwe, Malawi
Physical Location: Chitedze Trading Centre, Lilongwe, Malawi (Africa)
+265 1-707-213 (home)
+265 9-333-073 (home cell)
nordin@eomw.net

----- "Andrew Offor" wrote:

I had like to know more about the concept,design and
any study which has evaluated the impact of the FAO 's
School Farm Project for children orphaned by HIV/AIDS.
Andrew
NIGERIA

<http://www.kaisernetwork.org>http://www.kaisernetwork.org

<http://www.kaisernetwork.org/dailyreports/healthpolicy>http://www.kaisernetwork.org/dailyreports/healthpolicy.