Re: [pronut-hiv] South Africa: HIV Positive Moms Can Breastfeed Too, Says Health Department (3)

  • From: "Jecinter oketch" <jessieoketch@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 22:34:50 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Rachel,

This si interesting study. I completely agree with the study that EFF reduces risk of transmission as demotrated in the study but if you look at infant feeding holistically what are other health risks cost by EFF? could the cause more danger than harm if feed is not AFASS- which is mostly the case even where they provide them free. EFF in the long run may lead to high rates of mixed feeding which as demonstrated by the study is worse.

We of course need to take it further are continue to find options or further minimizing the risk of tranmission from EBF may be reducing it to less than 3 months????? but certainly we should be carefull promoting alternatives such as EFF.

Jecinter

----- Rachel Stern <sternworks@verizon.net> wrote:

Is this right? - to assure these mothers that breastfeeding is "safe?"

Mr. Seloba promises to inform women of their choices. Let us hope so, and
that he provides them with accurate information to make that choice.

Below is another study. At the very best, you could say that breastfeeding
carries a substantial risk of HIV transmission, although it could be reduced somewhat by taking certain precautions (besides exclusive breastfeeding, I'm not sure what they are).

Rachel Stern

AIDS. 2005 Mar 4;19(4):433-7. Links

Mode of infant feeding and HIV infection in children in a program for
prevention of mother-to-child transmission in Uganda.
a.. Magoni M,
b.. Bassani L,
c.. Okong P,
d.. Kituuka P,
e.. Germinario EP,
f.. Giuliano M,
g.. Vella S.
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the impact of different modalities of infant feeding
on HIV transmission in children in a prevention of mother-to-child
transmission (PMTCT) program in an urban hospital in Uganda. METHODS:
HIV-infected pregnant women in the PMTCT program at St Francis Hospital
Nsambya, Kampala were offered the chance to participate in the study.
Short-course antiretroviral regimens were provided and formula feeding
offered free of charge for women choosing not to breastfeed. Mother-infant
pairs were followed until 6 months postpartum. HIV status in children was
assessed at week 6 and month 6. For the analyses, mother-infant pairs were
classified into three groups according to the mode of infant feeding:
exclusive formula feeding (EFF), exclusive breastfeeding (EBF) and mixed
feeding (MF). RESULTS: A total of 306 children were enrolled. Transmission
rates were 8.9% at week 6 (3.4% in the EFF group, 11.2% in the EBF group,
17.1% in the MF group) and 12.0% at month 6 (3.7% in the EFF group, 16.0% in
the EBF group, and 20.4% in the MF group). The EBF and MF groups were
associated with a significantly higher risk of HIV transmission than the EFF
group. No significant risk difference was observed between the EBF and the
MF groups. CONCLUSIONS: HIV transmission rates were significantly lower in
formula-fed infants in comparison with both exclusively breastfed and
mixed-fed infants. Transmission through breastfeeding seems to occur mainly
in the first weeks after delivery.