Re: [pronut-hiv] Gateway to nutrition websites

  • From: "Luann Martin" <lmartin@aed.org>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:43:03 -0500

Hello Ann and Marlou,

Although the LINKAGES Project has ended, its website still exists with an extensive list of resources on infant and young child feeding that have been well received by users in developing countries. The address is: www.linkagesproject.org. A2Z: The USAID Micronutrient and Child Blindness Project is a source of information on micronutrients. The site will be adding many resources in the near future. We're selecting key resources from the project as well as from other organizations. Lastly, the website of AED's Center for Nutrition is also an excellent resource: www.aednutritioncenter.org.

Wishing you a warm and joyful holiday season,

Luann Martin
AED

>>> "Ann Burgess" <annpatriciaburgess@yahoo.co.uk> 12/17/2007 7:18 AM >>>
Dear Pronut-hiv

We are updating a list of nutrition-related websites for *Essential Health Links*. EHL is a gateway to reliable websites on health/medical topics for users in *low income countries* * see http://www.healthnet.org/essential-links. We need to decide how comprehensive to make this list and would be grateful for your input. So please could you tell us:

Do you know of any other easy-to-access gateway to websites on nutrition (ones that are particularly relevant to low income countries)? If so, please send us the url?
We have listed below websites that might be included in Essential Health Links. We have chosen these because they give links to important recent documents and/or to other key websites. Do you know of other sites like these that we might include? Please note that our list cannot be too long, that sites should to be *international* rather than too *country-specific* in nature, and that the managers of EHL will make the final decisions about what to include!
Best wishes for 2008

Ann Burgess and Marlou Bijlsmi

Nutrition Essential Health Links
Tentative sub-topics and sites - to be edited!

Food security

Eldis Resource Guide to Food Security (http://www.eldis.org/go/topics/resource-guides/food-security)
FAO (www.fao.org )
International Food Policy Research Institute (www.ifpri.org/)

General nutrition

FANTA of the Academy for Educational Development (www.fantaproject.org)
NICUS: Nutrition Information Centre (http://www.sun.ac.za/nicus/)
Nutrition Society (www.nutritionsociety.org) and their Information
Sheets (http://www.nutritionsociety.org/index.php?q=node/42)
pro-nut hiv (see www.pronutrition.org)
UN/Standing Committee on Nutrition (www.unsystem.org/scn)
WHO: Nutrition (http://www.who.int/topics/nutrition/en/)
Infant /child feeding/nutrition

International Baby-Food Action Network (www.ibfan.org)
UNICEF: Nutrition (http://www.unicef.org/nutrition/)
World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (www.waba.org.my)
Micronutrients

Helen Keller International (www.hki.org)
ILSI Human Nutrition Institute (http://hni.ilsi.org)
International Council for the Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders
(www.iccidd.org)
International Zinc Nutrition Consultative Group (http://www.izincg.org)
Iron Deficiency Project Advisory Service (www.idpas.org)
Micronutrient Initiative (www.micronutrient.org)
SIGHT AND LIFE (http://sightandlife.org)
Nutrition-related chronic diseases

International Diabetes Federation (http://www.idf.org)
International Obesity Taskforce (www.iotf.org)
ProCOR (www.procor.org) - a listserve of the Lown
Cardiovascular Research Foundation
WHO: Chronic diseases (http://www.who.int/topics/chronic_diseases/en)
Severe Acute malnutrition and Emergencies

Community-based Management of Severe Acute Malnutrition (http://www.who.int/child-adolescent-health/New_Publications/CHILD_HEALTH/Severe_Acute_Malnutrition_en.pdf)
Emergency Nutrition Network (www.ennonline.net)
Guidelines for the Inpatient Treatment of Severely Malnourished Children (http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/nphiru/research/malnutrition.pdf)
Valid International (http://www.validinternational.org/pages/)