[pronut-hiv] Micronutrient supplementation and HIV/AIDS

  • From: "martin kumbe" <martinkumbe72@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:17:10 -0700 (PDT)

Micronutrient deficiencies are prevalent in many HIV-infected populations, and numerous studies have reported that these deficiencies are associated with accelerated HIV disease progression. Strong evidence from observational studies has led to interest in the potential of micronutrient supplementation as a cost-effective strategy for preventing HIV disease progression in all stages of the disease.

In this context and based on current practices, I seek some clarification.
 What are the precise guidelines on micronutrient supplemenation for HIV/AIDS patients?  What factors determine wether a patient should be put on multiplemicronutrients or multivitamins?

The common practice that I have observed (in Kenya) is that most patients wether asymptomatic or presenting co-infections are put on multivitamins. Though a few may be put on multiple micronutrients(which are obviously superior to multvitamins), I have not come across clear distinctive guidelines on what (wether multivitamins or multiple micronutrients) ought to be prescribed for the patients in asymptomatic or symptomatic cases.

Are there any specific conditions say co-infections, weight loss etc that should inform the decision on wether a patient should be put on multivitamins or multiplemicronutrients?

Does availability and cost implications come into play? If affordable and available should all patients be put on multiplemicronutrients on diagnosis of
HIV?

Martin Kumbe
Kenya