[pronut-hiv] Haiti Emergency Relief Milk Program

  • From: "ProNut-HIV" <pronut-hiv@healthnet.org>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:48:47 -0500

Haiti Emergency Relief Milk Program
http://breastmilkproject.org/haiti.php

We have received an enormous amount of inquiries from mothers who want to donate their milk to Haiti. We are working with on-the-ground partners to assess conditions and find the most efficient and secure avenue to get the milk to the babies in need.

What is the Emergency Relief Milk Program?
The Emergency Relief Milk Program is a collaborative effort of several organizations to make sure that infants have access to donor milk during disaster situations.

Has any progress been made in your effort to get the donor breast milk to Haiti?
The infrastructure is still not in place to allow for this to happen, see joint statement by UNICEF, WHO and WFP http://www.unicef.org/media/media_52555.html. However things are improving every day and we have made significant progress. Our top priority is ensuring that breast milk that is sent to Haiti be handled properly and reach the intended recipients. We will update our website and Twitter account once more information is available.

How can I donate milk to help babies in Haiti?
The Human Milk Bank Association of North America is processing the milk that will be sent to Haiti. We are currently referring all donors to www.hmbana.org, or , to build up the supply in the United States so that when we are ready to send milk to Haiti, there will be an adequate amount of milk to meet the needs.

Why is breast milk important in a disaster situation?
See the American Academy of Pediatrics statement on Infant Nutrition During a Disaster. http://www.aap.org/breastfeeding/files/pdf/InfantNutritionDisaster.pdf

Will any of the collected milk stay in the United States?
Any milk that is not used for disaster relief will stay in the United States with HMBANA and be used to help critically ill babies in neonatal intensive care units, and babies that cannot tolerate formula. Visit www.hmbana.org to learn more about the Human Milk Bank Association of North American and whom they serve.

Who else is helping in this relief effort?
The Human Milk Bank Association of North America is collecting and processing the milk that will be sent to Haiti. We are currently referring all donors to www.hmbana.org, or , so that we can build up the supply in the United States so that when we are ready to send milk to Haiti, there will be an adequate amount of milk to meet the needs. Quick International Courier, a global transportation and logistics company that specializes in emergency shipping, has once again stepped up to the plate to ensure safe delivery of the milk to Haiti. We are finalizing plans with on-the-ground partners in Haiti and will continue to update our website with details as they unfold. And most importantly, hundreds of moms across the U.S. are signing up to be a part of this extraordinary effort.

Does International Breast Milk Project collect the milk?
No. International Breast Milk Project does not collect or store breast milk. All donors who register with us are referred to the Human Milk Bank Association of North America.

How else has International Breast Milk Project helped in emergency or crisis situations in the past?
In the past, International Breast Milk Project has provided donor milk to infants in need in South Africa affected by the poverty, disease and hunger. By the end of 2009, International Breast Milk Project provided over 64,800 bottles of breast milk to infants in South Africa. Additionally, in October 2009, International Breast Milk Project sent an emergency shipment to the Philippines after catastrophic typhoon Ondoy.

Is International Breast Milk Project collecting any milk for Prolacta Bioscience?
No.