Re: [pronut-hiv] Breast feeding and HIV (4)

  • From: "Rachel Stern" <sternworks@verizon.net>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 10:59:07 -0400

Hi Thulani, and thanks for your insights.

But I believe one must be careful in generalizing and in being doctrinaire
on this subject. For example, I understand that Botswana has formula
programs suited to locales within the country, and i remember reading on
this listserve some months ago that their mtct rate has gone down
dramatically. It is wrong, however, to make blanket recommendations about
formula, just as it is wrong to make blanket recommendations about
breastfeeding. In the popular press, the message is coming out that
breastfeeding prevents transmission, and that misinformation is unfair to
mothers and infants.

Whether it be exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months (did I read right? it's
now to be 12 months?) or formula feeding, both require intensive educational
efforts that have generally not been successful.

Rachel Stern

----Thulani Maphosa wrote:

Thanks Tom you summarised the issue very well. I liked the aspect of of
providing adequate counseling easpecially when the two options are being
considered. Key challenges that are indetified are the resource poor
countries do not have adequate health care workers (Health care provider and
patient ratio is high) therefore couseling time is not available.

Above all we have seen the industry pushing its agenda to promote infant
formula, and issues of conflict of interest within health care workers have
also become a major challenge. Code violations and the subsequent WHA
Resolutions have not been fully applied at national level to protect and
support breastfeeding. We need all come together
in this regard because i still believe it will make a difference towards
supporting the new WHO Rapid Advice.

What we need to be discussing is how as countries exclusive breastfeeding
rates can be increased (currently most countries are below 50%)? , scale the
ARV prophylaxis according to the new WHO PMTCT Rapid Advice to make
breastfeeding safer.

Clearly evidence has been provided Tom and it's time to scale up all the
high impact interventions. It is clear as well after the 2006 WHO Consensus
statement there has been no change in the survival of children easpecially
in countries with high HIV prevalence i.e South Africa, Botswana, Swaziland,
Lesotho and unfortunately some of these countries intoduced free formula to
PMTCT children but child survival never improved and as well new infections
in children still remained high. Child survival should be our focus and
simple interventions can make a difference.

I would want to draw attention to all of you to check the progress in Brazil
in-terms of trends towards attaining the MDG's and the facillitating
factors. Clearly they focused on simple programmes that are cheap, manageble
but with high impact towards health and survival.

Great article Tom and it's very clear but we need to agree: On what
interventions can make a difference in improving infant feeding practices?

Regards
Thulani Maphosa
Chief Programmes Officer
IBFAN Africa
Tel: 0026824043803
Cell: 00268-6023803
email: ibfan.maphosat@realnet.co.sz

----Annie Buchanan wrote:

Thank you Tom for summarizing our current best evidence. The only thing I
would add is the magnitude of risk associated with formula feeding over
breastfeeding in resource poor settings. The evidence shows that babies who
are
formula fed have 6 TIMES the mortality as breast fed babies. Of course we
want
to keep them HIV-free, but first we want them to survive.

Annie Buchanan

--
Annie Buchanan
KCMC-Duke Collaboration